Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Final Post: Farewell and Thank You


If we are to create a global even playing field then American needs to help create policies and systems which reduce the discrepancy between the wealthy and the poor around the world. If the gap between the rich and poor is only becoming vaster, how can America think they are doing their job as the self imposed caretaker of the world?  Also, have we not learned that foreign direct investment has hurt this country and is making it harder for us to recover from this economic crisis. It is interesting that Strayer mentions that we ship low cost items abroad, and then import high priced items in. I am pretty sure I read this fact a while back, that we actually ship our garbage to China and then they make goods that we then import again. Really, we send our garbage out just to buy it back as repackaged garbage? You can not put all of the blame on the government though, we as a population we promote this activity too. We are the consumers and we can choose not to play along with the absurdity. But most of the county just goes along with this form of economic abomination.
I remember a time when I was a child and my parents did not have a credit card yet. We just bought what we could afford. I don't know how that would work anymore. I am borrowing money to get this education, so I am no better really. Maybe I tell myself that it is for a good reason, but I still will be financially worse off after I graduate and I doubt that within a year the job market will be that much better off than it is now. Also, colleges keep pumping out graduate, so it is not as if the competition will be any less steep. hmmm. Ya, soothing thoughts to mend the wounds of the world.
I found the reading on the differences in feminism interesting, too. The varying degrees of belief in oppression. When the one woman said that we live so intimately with our oppressors, it is hard for us to see our personal suffering. That is a pretty bold and broad brushed comment. I liked how the African American women feel the need to work with the men, not against them. I feel similarly with them. We can not separate ourselves anymore as a species, we have been doing that for a too long and it has not seemed to work. I think we need to join together and build upon our individual strengths and perspectives. I do not think that competing against each other sexually will accomplish our deepest desires. That is short sighted and I liken it to cooking your food in a microwave, yes it is cooked, but it sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment